Despite significant cybersecurity exposures, 85 percent of small business owners believe their company is safe from hackers, viruses, malware or a data breach. The data tells a different story about small business cyber security.
The data tells a different story:
43% of Cyber Attacks affect small businesses.
60% of the small businesses victimized by a cyber attack close permanently within six months of the attack.
According to the Kaspersky Lab, the average annual cost of cyber attacks to small and medium-sized businesses was over $200,000 in 2014.
10 Ways to Prevent Cyber Attacks – Cyber Security
10 Ways to Prevent Small Business Cyber Attacks
Even if you don’t currently have the resources to bring in an outside expert to test your computer systems and make security recommendations, there are simple, economical steps you can take to reduce your risk of falling victim to a costly small business cyber attack:
- Train employees in cyber security principles.
- Install, use and regularly update antivirus and antispyware software on every computer used in your business.
- Use a firewall for your Internet connection.
- Download and install software updates for your operating systems and applications as they become available.
- Make backup copies of important business data and information.
- Control physical access to your computers and network components.
- Secure your Wi-Fi networks. If you have a Wi-Fi network for your workplace make sure it is secure and hidden.
- Require individual user accounts for each employee.
- Limit employee access to data and information, and limit authority to install software.
- Regularly change passwords.
- In addition to the listed tips, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) provides a tool for small businesses that can create and save a custom cyber security plan for your company, choosing from a menu of expert advice to address your specific business needs and concerns. It can be found at www.fcc.gov/cyberplanner.
Your Emerging Technology Partner
A data breach could cripple your small business, costing you thousands or millions of dollars in lost sales and/or damages. Contact Coverage Pro Insurance today. We have the tools necessary to ensure you have the proper coverage to protect your company against losses from cyber attacks.